Online - WSET Level 2 Wine June
This beginner to intermediate level qualification course provides a fantastic and structured exploration into the world of wines and is suitable for both industry professionals and wine enthusiasts alike. Individuals on this course will gain knowledge of the principal and regionally important grape varieties of the world and the styles of wine they produce around the world. Through a combination of tasting and theory, you’ll explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe these wines with confidence. WSET Level 2 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification.
This course is delivered online over three weeks with a minimum of 36 hours total study (including 16 hours LIVE virtual lessons) recommended to successfully complete the course. Regular internet access and participation is essential.
The Level 2 Award in Wines Online covers the same syllabus as the classroom course, but through a supported Online Classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated WSET certified educator.
Please note that the exam is completed in person and not online. The course includes an attended examination at Birmingham Wine School.
What’s Covered on the Course:
Through a combination of tasting and theory, you’ll explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe these wines with confidence.
• How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®(SAT)
• How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties:
o Pinot Grigio/Gris
o Sauvignon Blanc
o Cabernet Sauvignon
o Pinot Noir
• The style and quality of wines:
o made from 22 regionally important grape varieties
o produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
• How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
o Sparkling wines
o Fortified wines
• Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
• Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
• Principles of food and wine pairing
This course is ideal for complete beginners - no prior knowledge is required, and you don't have to have completed any other qualification to enrol. If you are completely new to the world of wine, you may wish to study the Level 1 Award in Wines first, but this is not essential.
The course is delivered online and in English therefore basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required.
A course study pack will be posted to you upon booking for this course (your preferred postal address will be confirmed before materials are posted out). It is highly recommended that the course textbook is read prior to the start of the course if possible.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
Wed 27th May 2020 at 5pm: Registration Deadline
Time: each day 3pm to 5pm (8 x 2 hour sessions ONLINE)
- Mon to Thurs 1st to 4th June. Four consecutive days.
- Mon to Thurs 8th to 11th June. Four consecutive days.
Exam: To obtain the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass an IN-PERSON exam that is made up of 50 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 1 hour. You must answer at least 55% correctly to pass the exam.
- The course will have 8 LIVE virtual taught lessons by a WSET certified Educator.
- Rob Price will additionally offer additional online/email help as required to support each student as needed.
- Students will need to select a date to attend the course exam in-person at Birmingham Wine School.
The Course Fee of £315 Includes:
- Course study pack (posted to students)
- Access to LIVE virtual taught lessons
- Plus additional help from Rob Price as needed.
- Professional WSET tuition
- Exam & all related examination fees
- Internationally recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass the in-person exam
It is recommended that 12 wines are tasted as part of this course. Please note that the cost of wines is not included in the listed course fee. The case of 12 wines for this course maybe purchased from Frazier's Wine Merchants for £116. Link. https://www.frazierswine.co.uk/wset-level-2-wines-with-birmingham-wine-school/
If you prefer to source your own wines, please let Rob know and he will send you the recommended list of wines.
VAT Receipt available on request.
Places remaining: 0
Course Date/Time: Mon 1st Jun 2020 at 3pm
Duration: 2hrs x 8 sessions