WSET Level 2 Wine & Spirits, Birmingham
The WSET Level 2 Award course in wine and spirits is suitable for anybody who has a serious interest in wine, and wishes to broaden their knowledge in a structured way. Students will receive a course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world - illustrated with detailed maps & label explanations), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions, and forms for your own tasting notes) and laminated tasting card.
The course is also appropriate for those not employed in the drinks industry but who have a serious interest in wine, and wish to broaden their knowledge in a structured way. This qualification has full accreditation from the UK Government’s Qualifications & Curriculum Authority as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification. This qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to Level 3.
- Wine Tasting :Taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wines
- Social Responsibility : A guide to sensible drinking
- Labelling :Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Factors influencing the Style of Wine : Study the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international and regionally important grape varieties
- Key White grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
Other white varieties: Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Muscadet, Pinot Gris/Grigio, Semillon, Torrontés, Trebbiano and Verdicchio
- Key Black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
Other red varieties: Barbera, Carmenère, Gamay, Malbec, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Pinotage, Primitivo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo and Zinfandel
- Key Wine-Producing regions of the World: Learn about the main styles of wines from the key wine-producing regions. France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, USA, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa
- Number of Wines Tasted: Around 30 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive an Intermediate course study pack, consisting of the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world - illustrated with detailed maps & label explanations), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions, and forms for your own tasting notes) and laminated tasting card.
- Duration of course : 16 hours (3 full days ) plus 1 hour examination
- Recommended Private Study : 16 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended that the majority of the private study is done in preparation for the course.
- Modes of Study : Day Release (one day a week for three weeks)
- Examination : 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. A mark of 55% required to pass
- Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
This Level 2 course will run on Tuesdays (10.30am-5:30pm), Three Days - 2nd, & 23rd and 30th April 2019.
16 hours additional private study is also recommended for this course). The Examination is 50 multiple choice questions, and lasts 1 hour on the final day at 4pm.
The Fee of £370.00 includes
- course book and study guide. (We will post course materials to you as soon as you book)
- Around 30 wines including Champagne & Ports to be tasted
- Three days of professional WSET tuition by WSET Certified tutor
- examination fees / internationally-recognised certificate
- VAT @20% please request VAT invoice if you can claim VAT
Venue: The Wellington, 37 Bennetts Hill, Birmingham, B2 5SN.
Please Note that we use a room on the second floor, where at least one flight of stairs needs to be climbed.
Places remaining: 2
Course Date/Time: Tue 2nd Apr 2019 at 10:30pm to 5:30pm
Duration: 1 day/week-3 weeks
Venue: The Wellington, Birmingham, B2 5SN